Note that the Skilled Independent Visa differs from the Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa as it does not require you to have a sponsor for this type of visa. This Skilled Independent Visa is for the points-tested skilled worker who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government. This Australian visa allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
Note that there are requirements for this visa. These visa requirements have been listed below:
- You nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list;
- You have obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation;
- You have not yet turned 50 years of age;
- You have achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the points test;
- You have at least competent English.
What does the Skilled Independent Visa allow:
- You can stay in Australia indefinitely;
- You can work and study in Australia;
- You can also enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses;
- You can apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible);
- You can also sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence;
- You are allowed to travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted;
If you have any questions about the visa then contact an Australian Embassy in your country or speak to an immigration lawyer for more advice and assistance. This website only lists the very basics for the visa application process.