Australian Student Visa

Australian EmbassyIf you wish to study in Australia then there are a number of Australian Student Visa options. These will depend on how old you are and what type of institution you are going to be attending. If you are a minor then you can also get a Guardian Visa for your mother or father who will be looking after you. If you are not a minor then you can still apply however you need to show good reason was to why they should allow this to occur.

Always speak to an immigration lawyer about the options or contact the Australian Embassy in your country to ask for a list of recommended lawyers who can assist you at your own expense. The visa options are as follows:

Higher Education Sector visa (subclass 573)

This Australian visa allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time higher education course.​ The following would fall under this visa designation:

  • a bachelor or associate degree
  • a graduate certificate or graduate diploma
  • a masters degree by coursework
  • a higher education diploma or advanced diploma.

Postgraduate Research Sector visa (subclass 574)

The following would be covered by this visa and also note that this is to do postdoctoral research while in Australia at an approved educational institution.

  • a masters degree by research
  • a doctoral degree.

Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575)

If you are going to study whith an award being offered then this is the visa that would be needed. This visa covers courses  or components of a course (other than ELICOS) that does not lead to an award.​

  • Student exchange program (semester or year)
  • Study abroad program (semester or year).

Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570)

If you want to study English full-time in Australia then this visa will cover the course being an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).​

Schools Sector visa (subclass 571)

This visa is for children who wish to attend primary or secondary school in Australia. You can usually apply for a guardian visa for the parent who will be looking after the child while in Australia.  This visa is thus applicable to:

  • enrolled as a student at a primary or secondary school in Australia
  • participating in a secondary school exchange program

Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572)

If you are going to do a vocational course in Australia then this would be the appropriate visa for you. Tis visa cover the following while in Australia:

  • enrolled as a student in a registered vocational education and training course
  • enrolled as a student in a registered course for the award of advanced diploma.

Speak to an immigration lawyer in your home country if you are not certain what options are available to you. You can also contact the Australian Embassy in your country to ask for a list of recommend immigration lawyers which you have to pay out of your own pocket.

Incoming search terms:

error: Content is protected !!