If you are thinking of going to Australia to look after an ill relative then you can apply for a carer visa for Australia. This type of Australian visa allows you to enter Australia and to work as a carer for the person who you listed on your application form. Note however that the illness needs to be a long-term or permanent medical condition.
In order to qualify for this visa to look after a relative you need to meet the following requirements:
- You have a relative who is an Australian and who needs assistance due to an illness;
- Your Australian relative has arranged the needed assessment with Bupa Medical Visa Services;
- There is nobody in Australia who can provide the care or assistance needed;
- You are both willing and able to assist your Australian relative;
- You are being sponsored by your Australian relative or his/her partner.
What the carer visa allows you to do is to stay in Australia indefinitely as an Australian permanent resident and allows you to qualify for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible). Note however that this is for 5 years only and you would be allowed to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident for five years from the date the visa is granted. Once the 5 years are complete then you need to apply for another carer visa.
You will need to speak to an immigration lawyer about the application process if you wish to take a minor child of your with to Australia. There also needs to be a written agreement for the visa to be issued as the sponsor needs to cover your support, accommodation and financial assistance for two years after you first arrive in Australia.
Your Australian Sponsor
You need to show that your sponsor is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. You will also need to show that you sponsor usually lives in Australia, in others words has permanent employment in Australia. There also needs to be evidence that you sponsor has tried to get help from the Australian welfare system and Australian hospitals. The sponsor also needs to show that he/she has no relatives in Australia who can perform the task. Finally you need to prove that you are family and that you can prove this family relationship – cousin, sister brother etc.
The following forms need to be completed for this visa so check with an immigration expert about the documents and what other evidence would be needed for this to be completed.
Sponsorship for migration to Australia (251 kB PDF) (your sponsor completes this form)
Application for migration to Australia by other family members (507 kB PDF)
If you are taking a child or children with to Australia then you also need to complete the following forms. These are for taking minor children to Australia. Speak to an immigration lawyer about these documents and forms which need to be completed.
Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over (complete a separate form for each child or family member)
Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (complete a separate form for each child under 18 years).
See the other visa option available to your if you are thinking about visiting friends and family in Australia for a short period of time without working or staying on. You can use an Australian Visitors Visa for this purpose.
Incoming search terms:
- carer visa australia
- australian carer visa application
- australia carer visa
- do carer can get working visa in australia
- sponsorship requiments for carer visa in australia
- carer visa 2015
- carer visa australia 2017
- requirement for carer relatives in australia
- carer visa australia requirements
- australia carer visa criteria
- what the process to carer visa in australia
- can a relative from over seas be a carer for a relative in australia