Contributory Parent Visa

Australian EmbassyThere are 2 types of Contributory Parent Visa options. The first is a (subclass 143) which is a long term and permanent visa while the (subclass 173) is a temporary visa based on 2 years. If you wish to move to Australia on a permanent bases to live with your child then this is the visa for you. There is a test for the visa which is listed as follows:

Contributory Parent Visa

Firstly you need to be sponsored by your child who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident and has lived in Australia for at least 2 years. See also the Partner Visa for Australia.  So what does this visa allow you to do:

  • You can stay in Australia indefinitely;
  • You can work and study in Australia;
  • Also you can enroll in Medicare Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses;
  • You can apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible);
  • Also you can sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence;
  • You can travel to and from Australia for five years from the visa issuance.

Family Test for Contributory Parent Visa

The family test is simple enough to understand. Note the table below to see if you will pass the family test for this visa. You need to have at least half of your children live permanently in Australia. Note that this is for the permanent Contributory Parent Visa for Australia.

Total number of children Number of children usually living in Australia Number of children usually living in countries other than Australia Meets balance of family test
Country A Country B Country C Country D
1 1 Yes
2 1 1  – Yes
3 1 2  – No
3 1 1 1  – No
4 2 2  – Yes

Note that you will need to speak to an immigration attorney as these are just the basics. You will need to show that the sponsor will assist you for a period of at least 10 years. This can be complicated and need proper legal advice to complete the process. Dont attempt this on your own. Note also that you will not automatically receive the age pension or social security payments in Australia. You will have to wait:

  • two years for most social security payments
  • ten years for age and disability pension payments.

As stated above call an attorney or email the Australian Embassy in your country who can recommend an attorney for you in your country who can assist you with the immigration process. This is the contributory parent visa Australia and also look at the Remaining Relative Visa and Temporary Work Visa Australia as well.



error: Content is protected !!